Acorn Flour Biscuits
This year in Northern Minnesota, we had an over abundance of acorns. So, we made flour following the directions at outdoorlife.com ….. How to Grind Acorns into Flour (and Make Pancakes Out of It). We decided to make baking powder biscuits instead of pancakes.
- ¼ cup Minnesota Dry-Roasted White Oak Acorn Flour
- 1 ¾ cup gluten-free flour
- 1 tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp cream of tartar
- 2 tsp sugar
- ½ cup shortening lard
- ⅔ cup buttermilk 2/3 cup milk plus 1 T vinegar and let set
- Cut shortening into sifted dry ingredients until it resembles crumbs.
- Add milk all at once.
- Stir until dough follows fork.
- Turn unto floured surface and gently knead for 1-2 minute.
- Pat or roll dough out until 1/2 inch thick.
- Cut biscuits with floured biscuit cutter.
- Place on ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake at 450 degrees for 10-12 minutes
- Brush with butter and cool.
Follow Mor Kitchen baking adventures from Minnesota.